Sunday, January 29, 2012

Clutterly brilliant


I love my stuff. I have trinkets from my travels, books by the bucketload, collections comprising teacups, vintage glassware and buttons. I love our stuff – the hundreds of mismatched CDs and records (thrown together when Indie Kid met Happy House Raver) that somehow, over time have bridged the distance so that now Andy can be found navel gazing with Teenage Fanclub while I practice my running man to K-Klass. I love all of Agatha’s stuff, simply because it belongs to her.

Needless to say, my study is a storeroom. Boxes full of very important paperwork (neither of us know exactly what’s in there but it must be important if we kept it all this time). Bookcases chock full of books I have read and will never re-read and those that I will never read at all. Cupboards bursting with clothes that no longer fit us (but they might, one day) and drawers swimming in bits and bobs that may come in useful, if only we knew what they were for. It’s starting to feel uncomfortable, all this stuff. I’m not a hoarder but I am overly sentimental and loathe to hurt any feelings; “we can’t give that away, our old neighbour brought it back from Malaysia for us… Yes I know it’s a Petronas Towers money box wrought large in plastic but it was a gift!”



So, what to do? Celia Barbour (writer and contributing editor at O, the Oprah Magazine) says “a home is a place to do things, not store things. It’s not meant to house your possessions but your life.” This really speaks to me – especially the bit about a home not housing your possessions but your life. Part of my quest to do more of the things that make me happy is to live by the motto that less stuff = more life. So I am going to declutter. I’m going to have a huge garage sale and the proceeds are going into our Hawaii account. I’m going to donate much to charity. I’m going to recycle and, as a last resort, throw away. When I am done I will look around my home and actually SEE the things that are special to me. I am going to try and live by William Morris’ exhortation to not have anything in my house that I do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.

Anyone want a money box from Malaysia?

7 comments:

  1. I'm hearing you! It seems to be the story of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I like my things too. I always think I *need* my things around, but when I don't - such as when on holidays, I realise I actually don't.

    Have fun preparing for your garage sale, I think we need another here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad others feel the same! I know what you mean re holidays Becks - I realised how little of our "stuff" we actually used or needed while in Tasmania. And yet how could I cull my books? Or my lovely teacups? Paring back is the key, I have to remember that. Less stuff = more life. And more room to display and thus enjoy those really precious things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have moved four times in four years and it freaks me out every time we pack not only how much we accumulate in a matter of months but how much stuff packed away in boxes and drawers we never use. I'm a big supporter of the declutter and I think a great tip is to not allow yourself to buy something new without letting go of something old first- that way you always have the same amount of stuff in the house at any one time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good idea Siobhan - a one in, one out policy. Andy suggested the same thing in relation to my books yesterday and was rewarded with a stern look. But perhaps he has a point...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a read of this blog post http://pancakesandfrenchfries.com/2011/09/unstyled-life-33/ . I found it really moving and inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funnily enough I had this conversation with Andy just recently - if someone was to sort through my things after I died, who would I appear to be? I have pieces of jewellery (received as gifts) that don't suit me. Clothes that don't represent me and paperwork that wouldn't even get a cursory glance if I wasn't here to safeguard it. It really is time to cut through it all. I made a start in my study but I'd love to go through every room in the house and do it properly.

    ReplyDelete